Home » Blog » A short introduction to the subconscious mind

make friends with your subconscious!

A short introduction to the subconscious mind

The following is extracted from my book, Vivid Visualisation™, Success without Stress!

Imagine an iceberg.  The 10% above the water is your conscious mind and the remaining 90% is the all powerful subconscious mind.

The conscious mind has only one job, to choose.  To decide what you want. The subconscious mind uncovers how.  It is the creative mind.

The subconscious mind has access to all the knowledge that ever was, ever is and ever will be.

All of our struggling in life is caused by us trying to use the conscious mind to change what we don’t want, or create what we do want. Our conscious mind doesn’t know the answer! Our conscious mind doesn’t know the how.

Our conscious mind is NOT capable of creation.

When we try to create with our conscious mind we make things very difficult for ourselves. What we end up creating when we try to use the conscious mind in this way is Stress – Struggle – Pain – Anger – Frustration – Worry – Anxiety – Depression…

How often do you get stuck not knowing what to do? 

How many times have you changed your mind about what you want because you can’t see how to get it? 

All of our struggles to be who we want to be and have what we want to have come from trying to work out how with the part of our mind which was never designed for that purpose.

The only job for the conscious mind is to choose. It doesn’t know how so don’t waste any more time trying to work it all out with that part of you. Let it go. Hand it over to the part of you that does know.

The how’s are dealt with without any conscious involvement at all by the subconscious mind.

The subconscious always knows how. It knows the best way. The quickest way. The easiest way. We can trust this innate power to create what we want and make life easy for ourselves, or we can ignore it and continue to struggle.

This deeper intelligence within us is connected to all that is known and all that is yet undiscovered. We can recognise this amazing power and use it to our advantage.

Or, by default, we can spend our lives worrying, imagining (and expecting) the worst, hating ourselves and filling our minds with self-doubt.

The massive intelligence of the subconscious mind has but one job. That is to do everything in its power to help you.

My own subconscious created acute pancreatitis within me because it knew I wanted to stop drinking.  I had wanted to get out of the pub and create a new life for myself for years and I wasn’t doing anything about it.

The result was seven days in hospital and a ban on drinking alcohol because that was the cause of the pancreatitis.

I had a few little drinks a couple of years later over Christmas and sure enough it came back. No more drinking for me, I can tell you. I am a much happier and healthier man because of it too.

That was my subconscious mind looking after me in the best way it knew how.

The subconscious mind is being programmed all day, every day with what you want.

The feelings you feel are that programming. Even if you deny to yourself that you feel those feelings, the subconscious will set about creating what it thinks you want. The only way to change the programming is to change the feelings.

The best way to do that is for you to visualise purposefully what you want and create the associated feelings for that. The subconscious is then redirected towards what you want, and away from what you don’t want.

The more frequent, intense, vivid and deeply embedded these visualisations become, the quicker and more easily your subconscious gets to work on them for you.

If you teach a child how to spell a word once, he may forget tomorrow and go back to spelling it the wrong way again. Get him to practise it over and over and it becomes imbedded in his psyche.

The job of your conscious mind is to choose what those visualisations are to be. To make them strong, powerful and intense; and to do it frequently, persistently and resolutely…

…until the subconscious has the time to be sure you are not about to change your mind again, find the best way forward and to attract it, create it or drive you passionately and effortlessly towards it.

If you fail to take charge of this power within; if you choose not to feed it positive pictures of what you want, it will act on the pictures of what you don’t want. Your deepest fears, your biggest worries, your insecurities, your lack of self-love and approval, all will be created easily and effortlessly over and over again.

Follow me on Facebook.

4 comments

  1. victoria crumpton says:

    THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! I just wanted to write to say what a huge help connecting with your website has made to me already. Your positivity and insight have really inspired me and now feel I have a lifeline!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *